Follow Us:

Planning permission

The Church of England is exempt from certain provisions of the planning acts, including the need to apply for listed building consent, for ecclesiastical buildings.

However there are still some cases where civil planning permission will be required in addition to a faculty such as

  • Adding an extension to a church building.
  • Demolition of part or all of an existing church building.
  • Works which are likely to materially affect the exterior appearance of a church or its environs e.g. changing the roofing material, installing a churchyard shed and installing solar panels. This requirement can vary between districts.


You may apply for a faculty before applying for planning permission. Bear in mind that planning permission takes precedence over a faculty application.

For advice about whether planning permission may be required in addition to a faculty, please consult the DAC Secretary or the Diocesan Registrar, or the relevant local authority planning department.